KITCO NEWS - Sprott U.S. Holdings' CEO Rick Rule is known to talk gold and mining stocks, but the outspoken investor also has thoughts on cryptocurrencies. Speaking with Kitco News Tuesday, he said he dabbled in the leading cryptocurrency bitcoin for some time. But, 'the truth is I am no longer a bitcoin holder,' he added. Despite much volatility, bitcoin has been on a tear this year, up more than 300% and hovering near the $4,000 price tag, according to Kitco's aggregated charts. Rule said he sold his bitcoin at half the current price but still thinks the technology behind cryptocurrencies is 'fascinating.' 'Will it change the way that we do commerce worldwide? Absolutely.' However, the longtime investor said he still does not view bitcoin or other virtual currencies as safe bets. 'I don't think it's a safe haven at all.'
Watch more from Kitco News:
- Gold Misses $1,300 but It's Far From a 'Crisis' Says Trader
- This One Thing Might Stand in the Way of $1,300 Gold - Trader
- Gold is Talking and Hinting at Key $1,300 Level
- Can We Talk $1,900 Gold? Maybe, But Not Like Last Time Says This Expert
- Gold on The Defensive as U.S. Dollar Due For a Rally
- Is Gold Resilient in the Face of a Stronger U.S. Dollar?
- When the Economy Fails, Trump Will be the One Blamed: Doug Casey
This article is commentary by an independent contributor. At the time of publication, the author held TK positions in the stocks mentioned.