Although Bitcoin is the cryptocurrency most talked about, there are a lot of different cryptocurrencies. More than 900 cryptocurrencies are available over the internet, each relying on a blockchain system. Blockchains are ledgers that can accept input from many different parties but only if the parties are at a consensus. Which cryptocurrencies will last? The staying power of these currencies lie in whether or not they can easily be used in transactions.
Are you investing in cryptocurrency? Don't miss TheStreet's coverage:
- Why Bitcoin Cash Prices Are Likely to Dive Again
- Forget IPOs: How Do Companies Know If an ICO Is Right for Them?
- Bitcoin to Take Over Civilization
- How Cryptocurrency Mining Works Explains Why AMD and Nvidia's Sales to Miners Might Soon Fall
- Bitcoin Mania Setting Up for Greatest Financial Crash in 400 Years
- Bitcoin Skyrockets to Record $3,525 as a Buying Binge Is Unleashed
- Bitcoin Surges to Record Price Despite Technology Debate
- Bitcoin Investors Must Report Gains to the IRS
This article was written by a staff member of TheStreet.