The World Health Organization has declared China's coronavirus a global health emergency. Coronavirus has claimed at least 1,300 lives and infected more than 60,000 people across the globe.
What is coronavirus?
According to World Health Organization, coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome.
This virus was first detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province of China.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the virus spreads from an infected person to others through:
- the air by coughing and sneezing
- close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
- touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands
- rarely, fecal contamination
Coronavirus symptoms may include runny nose, headache, cough, sore throat, fever, a general feeling of being unwell, which might last for a few days.
Unfortunately, there's no vaccine or treatment available for this. Most of the time, people will recover on their own.
Here's how to protect yourself from getting infected:
- wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- avoid close contact with people who are sick
Catch up on the Latest Videos on TheStreet!
- Fed Flags Coronavirus as Risk to Economy - Is a Rate Cut Coming?
- XFL Makes Comeback: Sights Sounds From MetLife Stadium
- Here's How Stock Prices are Determined
- TheStreet Explains: How to Read an Analyst Note
- Retirement Daily: How to Find a Tax Preparer That’s Right For You
- Free Webinar: Expert Advice on Equity Trading by CME Group