On Monday, the Supreme Court--in a 6-3 ruling--said that "An employer who fires an individual merely for being gay or transgender violates Title VII."
Justice Neil Gorsuch, President Donald Trump's first appointee wrote the majority opinion. Chief Justice John Roberts and the court's four liberal justices joined the opinion.
"Today...we must decide whether an employer can fire someone simply for being homosexual or transgender. The answer is clear," Gorsuch wrote.
"These terms generate the following rule: An employer violates Title VII when it intentionally fires an individual employee based in part on sex. It makes no difference if other factors besides the plaintiff’s sex contributed to the decision or that the employer treated women as a group the same when compared to men as a group. A statutory violation occurs if an employer intentionally relies in part on an individual employee’s sex when deciding to discharge the employee. Because discrimination on the basis of homosexuality or transgender status requires an employer to intentionally treat individual employees differently because of their sex, an employer who intentionally penalizes an employee for being homosexual or transgender also violates Title VII," the Supreme Court wrote.
So, what does this ruling mean for businesses?
Rebecca Rose Woodland, litigator and legal analyst joined TheStreet.
Watch the video above for more.
You can follow Katherine Ross on Twitter at @byKatherineRoss.
Watch TheStreet's Interview with Dr. Fauci
- Dr. Fauci On J&J Vaccine Candidate: Moving Quickly Isn't at Expense of Safety
- Dr. Fauci on Regeneron: You Can't Make Statement Until Trial Results
- Fauci 'Cautiously Optimistic' on Moderna, But Phase 3 Trial Will 'Determine Efficacy'
- Fauci: Must Address Social Determinants of Health in Minority Communities During, After COVID-19
- Dr. Fauci Says Return of Sports Cannot Be Same Across U.S.
- Dr. Fauci Stresses Importance of Sports, But Health, Welfare Comes First
- Dr. Fauci Explains Why Public Wasn't Told to Wear Masks When COVID-19 Pandemic Began
- Dr. Fauci: I've 'Never Seen Anything Like' COVID-19
- Dr. Fauci Says Asymptomatic Spread of COVID-19 Is Not Rare
- Dr. Fauci Is 'Cautiously Optimistic' Vaccine 'Is On Track' in 2020