Good morning, it’s Wednesday, May 6.
Here’s your daily coronavirus update.
There are over 3.6 million cases of the virus worldwide, with over 257,000 deaths per data from Johns Hopkins.
The U.S. has over 1.2 million cases and over 71,000 deaths.
Spain has 219,000 cases and 25,000 deaths and Italy has 213,000 cases and 29,000 deaths.
United Kingdom now has the highest death toll in Europe with 29,500. There are 196,000 cases in the U.K.
Gilead said it is in talks with other chemical and pharmaceutical companies about producing its remdesivir drug for use combating Covid-19 in Europe, Asia and the developing world.
The company also said it's talking with UNICEF on how to distribute the drug in low- and middle-income countries.
Remdesivir was approved for use on an emergency basis in the U.S. on Friday after studies showed it shortened the time to recovery for patients suffering from the coronavirus.
“Close coordination of remdesivir manufacturing will be critical,” the company said in a statement. “Producing the drug requires scarce raw materials, with their own lengthy production time, and specialized manufacturing capabilities with limited global capacity.”
Watch More of the Latest Videos from TheStreet and Jim Cramer
- Jim Cramer: It's Not Too Late to Sell
- Jim Cramer: The Force Isn't With Disney
- Jim Cramer: I'd Buy AbbVie Over Gilead
- Professional Athletes in Business: NBA Hall of Famer David Robinson Says Teamwork is Recipe for Success
- Ask Bob: I Was Furloughed. Under the CARES Act, Do I Still Need to Pay My 401(k) Loans?