Facebook (FB) - Get Meta Platforms Inc. Class A Report CEO Mark Zuckerberg told the crowd at the company's Social Good Forum, "when I started Facebook, I wasn't thinking of it as a way to raise money to fight disease, but people were."
He used the event to unveil a string of new tools aimed at helping those in need.
- Mentorship and Support, a new product where mentees and mentors come together to connect and interact directly with each other and progress through a guided program developed by nonprofit organizations
- Eliminating nonprofit fees, 100% of donations made through Facebook payments to nonprofits will now go directly to those organizations
- Facebook Donations Fund, $50 million annual fund to help communities recover from disaster by direct contributions and matching dollars, to increase the impact of our community's support during crises like a major natural disaster. The fund will also help more people support causes that they care about, as well as help nonprofits increase the amount raised by their supporters' to campaigns like Giving Tuesday
- Charitable giving tools expansion, people can now create fundraisers in places like Europe, Australia, Canada and New Zealand
- Fundraisers API, the ability for people to sync their off-Facebook fundraising to their Facebook fundraisers
- Community Help API, a new tool that will give disaster response organizations access to Community Help data, offering important information about the needs of people affected by crises so that they can respond
- Blood donations feature, more than 4 million donors in India have signed up, expanding to connect blood banks and hospitals to donors through blood donation events, and introducing the feature in Bangladesh in early 2018
Watch More with TheStreet:
- What Matt Lauer Risked with His Alleged Behavior
- Jim Cramer on Chipotle's CEO Stepping Down
- The Trump Name is Disappearing From the Company's Landmark Buildings
- Side of Crazy with Your Coffee, Trump Tweets and Katy Perry with Buffet Edition