Skip to main content

Who Knew an IRS Tech Glitch Could Get You More Time To Prep Your Tax Return

Your tax return is due at midnight on Wednesday, April 18th now thanks to an IRS tech glitch. So either prep it or extend -- but pay your bill. Watch now!

You have to love a good technology glitch to buy you more time.

Thanks to the IRS system issues you now have until midnight TONIGHT to file your return.

"This is the busiest tax day of the year, and the IRS apologizes for the inconvenience this system issue caused for taxpayers," said Acting IRS Commissioner David Kautter in a press release.

So they're giving you an extra day to file or extend.

Either way, get on it -- today -- really!

Remember, if you file an extension, it's not an extension of time to file pay your bill.

And here are few other last-minute things you need to know.

    Just extend if you can't get it together.

    It's fine. You won't be penalized or singled out.

    File Form 4868 - Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return by midnight on April 18th and the IRS will automatically grant you a six-month extension of time to file. Your tax return then will be due on October 15, 2017 and you're done.

      Avoid the late filing penalty because it's huuuuge.

      If you don't file either your tax return or an extension on April 18th and you owe money, your fees will start stacking.

      Scroll to Continue

      TheStreet Recommends

      The late filing penalty is 5% of the unpaid taxes you owe for every month your return is late.

      It caps at a 25% of your taxes owed, but man, can that add up fast.

        There is a late payment penalty too.

        In theory, you owe your full tax bill on April 18, regardless of whether you extend or file your return.

        If you owe the IRS money, the penalty is calculated as 0.5% of the amount you owe for each month you're late, up to a maximum of 25%. So while it's not nearly as bad as the late filing penalty, Uncle Sam is still going to ding you.

          Go on the IRS' payment plan if you can't pay.

          Consider going on the IRS' payment plan. You basically can tell the IRS how much you can afford to pay each month and have the amount debited from your checking account. And that will make them happy.

          Just file Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request.

          It's not hard and it makes Uncle Sam happy because he knows you're making an effort.

            You can charge your tax bill.

            Check out Official Payments for the different options. But you can use your Visa (V) - Get Visa Inc. Report American Express (AXP) - Get American Express Company Report Mastercard (MA) - Get Mastercard Incorporated Report or Discover (DFS) - Get Discover Financial Services Report to pay your bill with your extension or actual return.

            But know that Official Payments will charge you a processing fee and your credit card still will hit you with all the typical fees and interest. So make sure those extra airline miles out weigh those costs.

            Follow me @tracybyrnes and subscribe to our YouTube channel here