Shopify posted adjusted earnings of $198.8 million, or $1.58 a share, in the fourth quarter vs. adjusted earnings of $50 million, or 43 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts polled by FactSet had been expecting earnings of $1.26 a share.
Revenue was $977.7 million in the quarter, up 94% from a year ago and well above analysts' forecasts of $913.1 million.
Shopify has been a big beneficiary of the pandemic and drive to online shopping. Websites powered by Shopify posted some of their best traffic and sales through the critical Thanksgiving-to-Christmas holiday shopping season.
However, the ongoing rollout of vaccines and the petering out of the pandemic - good things, of course - could mean that 2021 subscriptions solutions revenue growth is "driven by more merchants around the world joining the platform in a number lower than the record in 2020," Shopify said.
Latest Videos From TheStreet and Jim Cramer:
- Public.com COO on Trading Restrictions and Importance of Investing Education
- Understanding GameStop: What This Seasoned Investor Needs to See From WallStreetBets
- How Do You Short a Stock?
- What Is Happening to GameStop Stock? Jim Cramer Explains
More 2021 Best Stocks' Videos:
- Dividend Stocks to Watch in 2021
- 5 Industrial Stocks to Watch in 2021
- Expedia and JetBlue Are Among Some of the Best Travel Stocks for 2021
- #BestEnergyStocks to Watch In 2021
- #BestGamingStocks to Watch In 2021
- Three Stocks Under $10 for 2021
- The Best Retail Stocks for 2021 Are Names That Might Surprise You