The multimedia messaging app Snapchat (SNAP) - Get Snap Inc. Class A Report has changed the way out kids communicate with each other! The disappearing photos and streaks seem so normal today. But, it was just an idea back in 2011 when a couple of Stanford students collaborated to launch Snap.
- July 2011. Snapchat launches in app store
- 2012. Co-founder Evan Spiegel wrote his first post
- 2012. Video was introduced
- October 2013. Stories were introduced
- August 2014. Geofilters arrive
- August 2016. Bitmojis are introduced
- March 2017. Snapchat IPO
- April 2018. Reverted back to chronological stories after backlash
Snapchat by the Numbers:
- The social media platform reportedly has 300 million active monthly users (as of Sept. 2018).
- 10 billion videos are posted daily
- More than 400 stories are created daily
Watch the video above for more on Snapchat's history. It's part of TheStreet's video series, Behind the Label.