The multimedia messaging app Snapchat (SNAP - Get Report) has changed the way out kids communicate with each other! The disappearing photos and streaks seem so normal today. But, it was just an idea back in 2011 when a couple of Stanford students collaborated to launch Snap.
- July 2011. Snapchat launches in app store
- 2012. Co-founder Evan Spiegel wrote his first post
- 2012. Video was introduced
- October 2013. Stories were introduced
- August 2014. Geofilters arrive
- August 2016. Bitmojis are introduced
- March 2017. Snapchat IPO
- April 2018. Reverted back to chronological stories after backlash
Snapchat by the Numbers:
- The social media platform reportedly has 300 million active monthly users (as of Sept. 2018).
- 10 billion videos are posted daily
- More than 400 stories are created daily
Watch the video above for more on Snapchat's history. It's part of TheStreet's video series, Behind the Label.