Former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick and Disney (DIS) - Get Walt Disney Company Report announced on July 6 that they are partnering up to create content about race, activism, and inequality.
“The partnership will focus on telling scripted and unscripted stories that explore race, social injustice and the quest for equity, and will provide a new platform to showcase the work of Black and Brown directors and producers,” Disney said.
“Kaepernick will work closely with The Undefeated, which is expanding its portfolio across Disney, to develop stories from the perspective of Black and Brown communities,” the company added.
The first project will be a documentary series about Kaepernick’s own path from playing for the San Francisco Giants to becoming an activist and leader.
The former 49ers quarterback began kneeling during the national anthem in order to raise awareness about police brutality towards Blacks and racial injustice in America. After he became a free agent in 2017, Kaepernick went unsigned, with most analysts agreeing that the player was being frozen out by the NFL. Kaepernick filed a grievance against the NFL which he withdrew in 2019 after reaching a settlement with the league.
“I am excited to announce this historic partnership with Disney across all of its platforms to elevate Black and Brown directors, creators, storytellers, and producers, and to inspire the youth with compelling and authentic perspectives,” Kaepernick said in a statement.
Watch More Videos From TheStreet and Jim Cramer:
- Stocks Rise as Viruses Do the Same: What Wall Street's Saying
- Jim Cramer: I'll Eat Outside at a Restaurant, But Not Inside
- Uber Acquires Food Delivery Service Postmates for $2.65 Billion in Stock
- July 2, 1884: During America's 'Gilded Age,' Congress Passes the Sherman Antitrust Act
- 10 Years Since Tesla's IPO: The Electric Vehicle Maker's Biggest Moments
- A Brief History of Trump's Relationship With the Stock Market
- Over 100 Years of Hot Dogs: A History of Nathan's Famous
- Jim Cramer: Why President Trump Needs to Wear Mask