In its quarterly earnings release, Moderna said the FDA had completed its review of its Investigational New Drug (IND) application for its novel coronavirus vaccine candidate, and has approved allowing it to proceed to a Phase 2 study, expected to begin shortly.
“The imminent Phase 2 study start is a crucial step forward as we continue to advance the clinical development of mRNA-1273, our vaccine candidate against SARS-CoV-2,” Moderna CEO Stephane Bancel said in a statement “With the goal of starting the mRNA-1273 pivotal Phase 3 study early this summer, Moderna is now preparing to potentially have its first BLA approved as soon as 2021.”
Moderna is known for its work in vaccines that treat and prevent other types of infectious diseases, including the flu.
Jim Cramer weighs in on whether or not this is a stock for investors to watch closely as various companies race for a vaccine against the coronavirus.
Watch More of the Latest Videos from TheStreet and Jim Cramer
- Jim Cramer: Oil Will Recover In the Long-Term, Jim Cramer Says
- Stocks Struggle to Gain Traction: What Wall Street’s Saying
- Plunge in Travel Due to Coronavirus Pandemic Leads to Massive Tech Company Layoffs
- Looking for a Job? These Sectors Are Hiring Amid the Coronavirus
- Ask Bob: I Was Furloughed. Under the CARES Act, Do I Still Need to Pay My 401(k) Loans?