60 Seconds: Get Financial Aid to Pay For College

Got a kid going to college? Well then you better get acquainted with the FAFSA -- the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. So give us 60 seconds and we'll tell you what you need to know!
Publish date:

Got a kid going to college? Then give me 60 seconds to help you get started you on your financial aid adventure.

Oh because it is an adventure.  And generally, it's a long process, so mentally prepare for that.

First, you need to understand that it does not matter how wealthy you are. There is a ton of money out there, you should at least try to get what you deserve.

But begin to learn the lingo.  And the first acronym you need to learn is FAFSA.

That stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid and it is the first thing that you need to fill out.

You will need your tax returns to complete the form.  And you'll need older returns -- specifically, the "prior prior" year.

Yes that's a double prior, meaning if you are applying for financial aid for the 2018 / 2019 school year, you're going to need your 2016 tax info. So dig it up.

And then watch the video above for more on what you need to know to get started!