Will we get a coronavirus vaccine by the end of 2020?
That's the question on many American's minds.
Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and member of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, said that while he's "cautiously optimistic" he can't say for sure that there will be a vaccine ready.
"I want to make sure people don't misunderstand what we're saying. My confidence is that we will get an answer to whether a vaccine works or not, within a period of, as I said early on, a year to 18 months, is what I originally said. Now it looks like it's closer to a year because we've been able to speed up a couple of things without compromising safety or scientific integrity," said Fauci. "But people need to understand, when you're dealing with the development of a vaccine, there is never a guarantee that the vaccine will work. So, anyone who says, they guarantee you, we are going to have an effective vaccine by whatever timeframe, is actually really not giving you the proper information for you to understand what's going on. What we're doing, is we're doing the development and the testing in an appropriate way, so that hopefully, by the end of this calendar year, we will know if it works."
"I want to make sure people don't think that we're saying we're going to guarantee you'll have a vaccine by the end of the year. Because that's not what we're saying. We're saying we have good feeling, and good data, to believe that we're on the right track," he continued.
Watch the video above for more.
You can follow Katherine Ross on Twitter at @byKatherineRoss.
Watch TheStreet's Interview with Dr. Fauci
- Dr. Fauci On J&J Vaccine Candidate: Moving Quickly Isn't at Expense of Safety
- Dr. Fauci on Regeneron: You Can't Make Statement Until Trial Results
- Fauci 'Cautiously Optimistic' on Moderna, But Phase 3 Trial Will 'Determine Efficacy'
- Fauci: Must Address Social Determinants of Health in Minority Communities During, After COVID-19
- Dr. Fauci Says Return of Sports Cannot Be Same Across U.S.
- Dr. Fauci Stresses Importance of Sports, But Health, Welfare Comes First