Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM) - Get Report launched a legal challenge to the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control ruling that the company violated U.S. sanctions against Russia in 2014, The Fly reported.
OFAC fined Exxon $2 million Thursday for the actions it took between May 14 and May 23, 2014. During that time, current Secretary of State Rex Tillerson was still Exxon's CEO.
Exxon claims it followed authoritative Obama-era guidance in its dealings with Russia, but OFAC retroactively changed the guidelines one year later. The energy company said market participants didn't have notice of the new interpretation, constituting a violation of the Administrative Procedure Act.
Watch More with TheStreet:
- 5 of the Weirdest Things Burger King Has Tried to Sell You
- 60 Second Tips: Questions to Ask Before Marriage
- 5 Signs the Sriracha Craze Has Gone Too Far
- Deadpool 2, Stranger Things 2, New Doctor Who! Get Ready for Comic Con 2017
- O.J. Simpson Wasn't the First or the Last Athlete to Kiss a Major Endorsement Goodbye