Here is a round-up of the morning's earnings report: #
1. Samsung (SSNLF) stock closed at a new record Thursday after it reported a solid first quarter and conceded to a push by activist investor Elliott Management to boost returns by cancelling some of the shares it holds in its treasury.
3. Dow Chemical (DOW) - Get Report posted stronger-than-expected first-quarter operating earnings and a firm rise in sales as it moves to complete its $130 billion merger with DuPont (DD) - Get Report
4. Southwest Airlines(LUV) - Get Report missed analysts' expectations for its first-quarter earnings, reporting adjusted earnings of 61 cents a share on revenue of $4.9 billion, sending shares down in premarket trading.
5. Lufthansa (DLAKY) fell to the foot of the market in Germany Thursday after a cautious tone from management led investors to overlook what was otherwise a solid set of first-quarter numbers from the flagship carrier.
6. Bayer AG (BAYRY) shares rose to the top of the German leaderboard Thursday after reporting better-than-excepted first quarter earnings that were boosted by a near 20% advance in sales of the group's Xarelto stroke prevention treatment.
7. Nokia Oyj(NOK) - Get Report shares surged to the top of the market in Paris after the network equipment maker said it was "cautiously optimistic" for the full year even as it posted a slowing in first quarter sales.
This article was written by a staff member of TheStreet.