According to Johns Hopkins, There are over 36.6 million cases of the virus worldwide, with over one million deaths.
The U.S. has surpassed 7.6 million cases with 213,000 deaths.
Per the COVID-19 Tracking Project, there were 54,870 new cases reported Thursday, which is higher than the 50,602 cases reported the day earlier. Over one million new tests were reported. And 975 deaths were reported yesterday, which is higher than the 916 deaths reported the day prior.
Gilead published promising results from its late-stage study of remdesivir, a developing coronavirus therapy used by President Donald Trump.
The results, which were published in the New England Journal of Medicine, showed consistent and meaningful improvements in patients treated compared those given placebos in a double-blind Phase 3 study. The overall improvement led to patient recoveries that were five days faster, the study found, a primary endpoint for the trial run by the National Institutes of Health that was originally launched earlier this spring.
President Trump was treated with a five day regimen of remdesivir earlier this week at the Walter Reed Medical Center, his team of doctors told reporters earlier this week. Trump has also received doses of Regeneron Pharmaceuticals experimental REGN-COV2 antibody treatment, as well as the anti-inflammatory steroid dexamethasone.
You can follow Katherine Ross on Twitter at @byKatherineRoss.
Latest Videos From TheStreet and Jim Cramer:
- Why Jim Cramer Says You Need One of These Three Stocks
- Coronavirus: The Latest Numbers on the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Looking for a FAANG Alternative? Here's Where a Monday.com Investor Finds Value
- Jim Cramer Calls Domino's Stock 'One of the Greatest Performers of All Time'
- Don't Try to Price Stocks Around the Election: Here's Why
- What to Expect From the Markets Following a Trump or Biden Victory
- Airline Stocks Fly Higher on Hopes of More Fiscal Aid