The S&P 500 and Nasdaq ended at records, though the Dow Jones Industrial Average missed out on its own by just points. Earnings from McDonald's Corp. (MCD) - Get McDonald's Corporation Report and Caterpillar Inc. (CAT) - Get Caterpillar Inc. Report and a crude oil rally drove the bulk of gains. A majority of Senate Republicans voted in favor of a motion to proceed with a repeal-and-replace bill. The vote opens up a debate on the GOP's healthcare bill, the details of which are still unknown. The motion passed with 50 Republican votes in favor with Vice President Mike Pence casting the tie-breaking 'yes' vote. Biogen Inc. (BIIB) - Get Biogen Inc. Report was active on an improved outlook. An increase in guidance was tied to the faster than anticipated adoption of its muscular atrophy treatment in the U.S. Barnes & Noble (BKS) - Get Barnes & Noble, Inc. Report rocketed higher after a call from activist investor Sandell Asset Management to sell itself. The shareholder said Barnes could entice bids of more than $12 a share.
Don't miss these top stories on TheStreet:
- Advanced Micro Devices Could Explode Another 17% Within Hours: Chart
- A Stock Analyst Thinks Apple's iPhone 8 Release Will Resemble a Snake Eating a Pig
- Apple Eats Pigs, Advanced Micro Devices Is Explosive -- 3 Hot Stories
- Starbucks Has an Alarming Problem That Even Its Fans Must Admit Has to Be Fixed -- and Soon!
- Amazon Tumbling Almost 40% Is Not as Crazy as It Sounds
- Micron Technology: What Today's Sloppy Drop in MU Means for Nervous Investors
- Why Seagate's Big Earnings Miss Isn't Terrible News for Western Digital