Alphabet Inc. (GOOG) - Get Report (GOOGL) - Get Report was created in 2015 as part of a restructuring effort by Google to turn Alphabet into a holding company. Two years later, what companies does Alphabet own? You'd be surprised. Here are only 5 examples of Alphabet's many companies and projects.
1. X:The slightly secret research-and-development company that has developed projects like Waymo and Google Glass.
2. Google Fiber: Part of the Access initiative for Google, providing broadband and internet to a growing pool of subscribers.
3. CapitalG: Alphabet's growth equity investment fund that concentrates on more developed startups like Airbnb and Glassdoor.
4. Calico: Develops drugs with the intention to "cure death". They're working on drugs for diseases like cancer and Alzheimers.
5. Larry Page (the co-founder of Google) owns two secretive flying car companies, Zee Aero and the smaller Kitty Hawk. While not under the Alphabet umbrella, they'll assumedly become part of it soon.
Watch More with TheStreet:
- Jim Cramer Reveals What to Watch in Alphabet's Earnings
- Apple's Former CEO Perfectly Explains Why Tech Giant Can't be a True Innovator
- America's Love for Pumpkins by the Numbers: Video
- What You're Seeing With Cord-Cutting Is Just the Tip of the Iceberg: Akamai CEO