Nicki Palmer, Chief Network Officer of Verizon Wireless, is an engineer and wants more women in the field.
"Of the 9 million tech jobs available, women are expected to fill very few of them."
So we have to do a better job of explaining the technology and engineering jobs to our young girls, she says. Because it's more than just erecting bridges and buildings, "there is science and technology all around us every single day," she says.
Palmer referenced the smartphones that we all carry in our pockets and said, "you love this phone - guess what? Ceramic engineering makes the screen...materials science...electrical engineering make sure what's in side works."
And that's exactly why Alpha Rising took a road trip to their network operations center in N.J. to spend time with her.
- Even better, we actually got an exclusive look at their brand new 5G testing center.
If young girls need a reminder that technology is helping to do good in the world, watch this:
- Deloitte CEO Says It's Going All-In on Inclusion
- Want Financial Equality? Consider Entrepreneurialism, Says Krawcheck
- Welcome to the Inaugural Alpha Rising Podcast!
- President of Mars Wrigley Confectionery Talks Women and Engineering
- How JNJ's Chief Medical Officer Fell In Love With Science -- In a Bakery