It can happen so easily - you forget to turn the coffee pot off or blow out a candle before you leave the house....and a gas leak, or even lightning.
A fire can start so easily....
So not only is prevention key - things like sprinkler systems and smoke alarms -- you have to make sure you have the proper insurance in place.
Your homeowners policy should include fire insurance. The bigger question, though, is whether it covers the value of all your stuff.
So you need to figure that out. And we are not just talking about the actual fair market value of your home, but all the things in it. That means you need to go in your closets and down in the basement and take photos and videos and try to come up with a value.
Then make sure your policy comes close. If it doesn't, get on the phone with your agent and fix that now.
And for more tips, check out the video above.
More of What's Trending on TheStreet :
- Procter & Gamble Shareholders Just Punched Nelson Peltz In the Face
- Here's What You Should Do After a Flood
- Burger King Is Going to Attempt to Crush the McDonald's Chicken McNugget
- This Year's Flu Season Could Be Devastating
- Why Your Dream Job Might Not Be Advertised Online