Hurricane Maria is gaining strength and is now a category 5 storm. It's already left a trail of destruction on the Caribbean island of Dominica and is headed toward Puerto Rico.
Also, a magnitude 3.6 earthquake hit Los Angeles. Experts say it is unlikely to cause any serious damage.
Toys 'R' Us filed for bankruptcy. The retailer has been hurt by shrinking sales and increase online competition. Toys 'R' Us was also struggling with a large debt load and payments were coming due before the end of the year.
President Donald Trump will speak to the United Nations today for the first time. His speech is expected to have a nationalist tone. He is also expected to say the body should focus on outcomes, not ideology. The White House says Trump will also stress the need for cooperation, particularly regarding fighting terrorism.
Bayer has asked for more time to complete its merger with Monsanto (MON) as the $66 billion dollar deal was facing scrutiny, particularly from the European Commission.
Don't miss these top stories on TheStreet:
- Bayer Shares Dip After Group Pushes Monsanto Closing Date into 'Early 2018'
- The Federal Reserve May Secretly Want to Sink the Record-Breaking Stock Market
- The Toys 'R' Us Bankruptcy Filing a Reminder That Amazon Is Crushing Everyone
- Apple's iOS 11 Arrives on Tuesday: Here Are 7 of the Best Features
- Why Billionaire Warren Buffett Probably Doesn't Get Tired of Making Money
- GE Is 'One of the Toughest Stocks I've Ever Had to Deal With,' Jim Cramer Says