Skip to main content

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Google (GOOG) - Get Alphabet Inc. Class C Report has had a couple of bad days in the market recently, with thestock underperforming. One can't help but get the feeling thatsomeone out there has been spooked by the Facebook (FB) - Get Meta Platforms Inc. Class A Report phone announcement,and is selling Google accordingly.

The purpose of this article is to show how such an analysis is wrong.Let's game this out in a decision tree, shall we?

1. Will the Facebook phone be successful?

Before we even go into what the Facebook phone is (hardware andsoftware, in different cases), the first fork in the road is to askwhether any version of this will be successful? Some might argue thatif (almost) nobody decides to buy/use it, the Facebook phoneannouncement won't matter.

For starters, how do we define successful in this case? Do we base iton how many people actually buy the Facebook phone from


(T) - Get AT&T Inc. Report

? Do webase it on how many people download the new Facebook app onto theirexisting Android phone? Do we base it on how much people use it, andfor how long?

Also see: Facebook Hijacks Google's Android >>

Let's hold those thoughts for a moment. Let's first play with the thoughtthat "very few" people download, buy and otherwise use the Facebookphone -- hardware or software. Does this mean that we are simplyin status quo, that this is neither good nor bad for any of the keyplayers, from Facebook itself to Google and Apple?

Actually, no.

Even if the Facebook phone turns out to be much ado about nothing,something big will have happened. You see, Facebook sent a powerfulmessage last Thursday. It said that every app developer shouldrefocus away from Apple, and instead devote more resources to Android.

Facebook is the king of third-party developers. It rose from aHarvard dorm room a decade ago, to 1 billion users, superstardom, anear $100 billion valuation, and IPO. Every one of the million or sothird-party developers -- some of them 17-year-olds working inpajamas out of their childhood basement bedroom -- listen to what MarkZuckerberg says. His word carries weight.

Zuckerberg just told you that Apple is


2011. iOS was the mobileWeb's training wheels. Now mobile users are ready to drive their owncar -- that would be Android -- which gives people, developers andconsumers alike, the power to customize and provider richerexperiences.

Scroll to Continue

TheStreet Recommends

Android was already catching up on iOS over the past year. One yearago, it was almost always the case that the hottest new apps becameavailable on iOS first. Now, iOS may still have a lead, but it isslight. Zuckerberg's endorsement of Android is like to push Androidover the top in Silicon Valley's developer community.

I spent the past few days talking to developers in Silicon Valley,where the vast majority of the hottest app companies are based. Icouldn't find a single one who disagree with the assertion thatAndroid is gaining on iOS in the developer community, and is likelyracing ahead imminently.

Developer support is the oxygen the drives an ecosystem. The Facebookphone just injected Android with critical oxygen, sucked right out ofApple's ecosystem. This is a huge deal, and it doesn't matter whetherthe Facebook phone itself turns out to be a success or not.

Also see: Facebook, the Gaming Network >>

2. Let's assume the Facebook phone is a success.

OK, let's assume people actually want this thing. This could eitherbe the optimized phone, made by HTC, or just the new app, which youcan download from Google Play. Let's start with people just startingto use it. What happens now?

The first and most important thing you must realize is that 100% ofthese people are now departing Apple in favor of Android. One hundred percent.Whatever Google gets or doesn't get, one thing is a stone-cold truth:The Facebook phone experience means you're no longer using Apple.Apple does not get one more penny from these people, ever. Good-bye.

I can't emphasize that enough: For every person Facebook captures,it's one person Apple doesn't get, or outright loses. Facebook hasjust become Apple's worst enemy.

3. What happens after people start using the Facebook phone?

Once people have either bought the Facebook phone, or downloaded theFacebook phone software, there are three factors we need to consider:

A. Do people like the experience?

B. How much do they use the Facebook phone software?

C. How will Facebook monetize this situation?

Let's deal with these in turn:

A. Will people like the Facebook phone experience?

If people like the Facebook phone experience, they will tell theirfriends about it. People will flock to Android, abandon Apple (andMicrosoft and BlackBerry). Android's market share will increase, fromits worldwide market share of almost 70% today. Android will becomethe equivalent of a Windows PC 1995-2009: Simply, the standard.

But what if people will not like this new experience? Then what?Then they are stuck on an Android phone, where they may uninstallFacebook and use "plain Google Android." They'll be upset withFacebook, but will be Android users for at least the next two years.Google wins big!

B. How much will Facebook fans use the new phone app?

Studies have shown that Facebook is as much as 20%-25% of mobile appusage. Good for them. That still leaves 75%-80% that isn't Facebook. Theoretically, if Facebook captured 25% of the Android advertising dollars, that would be equivalent to Google paying Facebook a 25% commission for destroying Apple's iPhone business. Considering that Google often


away product for free, paying Facebook a 25% for nuking its archrival, sounds like an outright bargain for Google.

Also see: Apple Dominates Google in the Air >>

C. How will Facebook monetize this situation?

Zuckerberg said that while the Facebook phone won't have any ads inthe early stages, we can expect them soon enough. But, of course.Will people like them? Ultimately, this will become a beauty contestbetween Google and Facebook as to who can deliver to you the best ads,and do so in a pleasant manner.

If Facebook delivers the best ads in a way that people like them,Facebook will be richly rewarded, worthy of its de-facto 25%"commission" for being on Android. If Facebook over-reaches orotherwise doesn't deliver ads in a better way than Google, then itrisks being used less as an app, leaving Google with a greater than75% share of the advertising dollars.

More importantly, if the Facebook phone ads aren't any good, peoplemay switch to the "old" Facebook app, which will presumably be lessintrusive. It's not as if there is some public outcry over Facebook'scurrent mobile apps -- whether on Android, iOS, Windows Phone orBlackBerry. Sure, it's not winning any awards, but people aren'tuninstalling it either, by any stretch. Remember the 20%-25% usageestimates?

Conclusion: Good for Google, Bad for Apple

I told you this already

in last Thursday's article


It may sound fashionable to try to concoct a story that Facebook's newand improved Android phone is somehow a threat to Google. A carefulexamination of the scenarios, however, strongly suggests that it theexact opposite. The worst thing that can happen for Google is thatFacebook collects an estimated de-facto 25% advertising commission fordriving customers away from the iPhone, Windows Phone and BlackBerry.And if the Facebook phone doesn't take off, Facebook has simply helpedsway the (Silicon Valley) developer community to focus more on Androidat the expense of Apple.

If I were Google, those are the kind of odds that I "like."

At the time of submitting this article, the author was long GOOG, AAPLand FB, and short MSFT.

Follow @antonwahlman

This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.

This contributor reads:


Drudge Report

Rush Limbaugh


The Verge

On Twitter, this contributor follows:

Kevin Eder

Byron York

Dan McLaughlin

David Limbaugh

Tyler Durden