Perhaps a bit cranky after coming back from a vacation in Hawaii to address the iPhone's antenna issues and dropping $87 million on free cases to help calm the masses, Jobs was defensive, blunt and, when asked about a
report alleging he was informed about the antenna issue before the iPhone's launch, downright salty. But why should we describe Jobs' words when they speak so eloquently for themselves. Here are his top 14 quotes from the iPhone 4 "Antennagate" conference:
1. "We've been working on this for just 22 days. We are an engineering company, and we want to find out what the real problem is. We've been working our butts off so we can come up with real solutions." -- Said in front of a screen that read "22 Days Working Our Butts Off."
2. "You'll still see a drop. ... We haven't figured out a way around the laws of physics yet."
3. "So the heart of the problem is, smartphones have issues."
4. " 'Jesus, it must be a lot of users complaining about this' -- so what percentage have called AppleCare? 0.55%. Just one half of 1%."
5. "Antennagate -- that doesn't seem like a good thing if you can make the bars go down by touching the phone. Well, we first learned that this doesn't just happen to the iPhone --
... other phones have this issue."
6. "Gizmodo put their video on the Web, touching the corner, and people were seeing a large drop in bars."
7. "You think half the people must be returning their phones with what you read online ... well, it's 1.7% -- less than a third of the 3GS returns."
8. "We think this has been so blown out of proportion ... it's fun to have a story, but it's not fun on the other side."
9. " 'Why don't you give everybody a case'? OK -- we'll give you a free case."
10. "We love our users so much that we built 300 Apple retail stores for them to give them the best buying experience in the world."
11. "Maybe we should have a wall of PR people keeping us away from this stuff, but we don't, we take it really personally."
12. "But the data support the fact that the iPhone 4 is the best smartphone in the world, and there is no Antennagate."
13. "To those investors who bought the stock and are down by $5, I have no apology. If we hit a bump in the road, it's like having kids."
14. "I assume you're referring to the Bloomberg article? ... Total bullshit."
>>Apple's Own Spill
Follow Jason Notte on
and get more stock ideas and investing advice on our sister site,
Jason Notte is a reporter for TheStreet.com. His writing has appeared in The New York Times, The Huffington Post, Esquire.com, Time Out New York, The Boston Herald, The Boston Phoenix, Metro newspaper and the Colorado Springs Independent.