NEW YORK (
stood by its threat and says that it has stopped its censoring of search results in China. The company has redirected its
users to its Hong Kong site for uncensored searches.
The move comes nine weeks after
of its network and the surveillance of Gmail accounts held by two human-rights activists. Google said the cyber attack originated in China and that it prompted the company to respond by warning it would no longer adhere to China's censorship rules.
The company had been at an impasse with China's government over the issue.
"The Chinese government has been crystal clear throughout our discussions that self-censorship is a non-negotiable legal requirement," Google attorney Dave Drummond wrote on
. "We believe this new approach of providing uncensored search in simplified Chinese from Google.com.hk is a sensible solution to the challenges we've faced," Drummond wrote.
Google says it will continue to have a sales staff in China.
China-approved search company (and Google rival)
continues to benefit from Google's protest. And outfits like
have vowed to stay within China's censorship laws with its Bing search service.
Google shares were largely unchanged at $559.87 in afternoon trading Monday.
--Written by Scott Moritz in New York
Follow our tech coverage on
and become a fan of