Executives at Alphabet's Google (GOOGL - Get Report) are pondering making significant changes to the company's approach to children's content on its massive YouTube platform, including potentially shifting all of its children's videos into the stand-alone YouTube Kids app, The Wall Street Journal reported.
Citing people briefed on the discussions, the Journal reported that Google executives are debating the move to better protect young viewers from objectionable videos.
The discussions come amid ongoing criticism over questionable content available to young viewers on the massively popular video platform. An additional change being considered for kids is switching off the feature that automatically plays a new video after one has been completed -- a feature that can inadvertently shift to playing content inappropriate for children.
Children's content is among YouTube's most popular, generating millions of dollars in advertising revenue, and it may require a significant overhaul of YouTube's current architecture, the Journal said.
The proposed changes come amid an ongoing investigation by the Federal Trade Commission, people familiar with the matter told the Journal. The probe was initiated by a complaint last year from consumer groups that accused Google of exploiting YouTube's popularity with children to illegally amass data on minors under 13 without parental consent.
The groups also alleged that the website subjected children to inappropriate content.
Shares of Alphabet were up a little more than 1% at $1,116.60 in early trading on Thursday.