- According to Gartner, "Worldwide IT spending is projected to total $3.7 trillion in 2018, an increase of 4.5 percent from 2017."* Based on our survey results, organizations are spending nearly a quarter (22 percent) of their annual IT budgets on integration and thus could equate to over $800 billion spent on integration in 2018.
- On average, organizations are using 1,020 individual applications across their business. However, on average, a relatively small number (29 percent) of these applications are currently integrated or connected together.
- A significant number (81 percent) of ITDMs admit that point-to-point integration has created some of the biggest headaches their organizations have ever seen. This is clearly a source of frustration for many ITDMs; in fact, at least 80 percent agree "point-to-point integration must die in the next five years if organizations are to reduce costs, deliver on business needs faster, remain competitive, deliver innovation faster, and extract more value from data."
Inefficient IT operating models are slowing the pace of changeIt is clear that organizations need to adopt a more efficient IT operating model. Yet, this is easier said than done as ITDMs continue to face the age-old dilemma of 'keeping the lights on' versus innovating. Furthermore, when it comes to building new applications and services, it is very common for development teams to work in isolation, meaning organizations are unable to discover and reuse the assets that have been created.
- ITDMs continue to spend the majority (63 percent) of their time on "running the business" activity compared to innovation and development projects.
- 93 percent of ITDMs admit that their application development process could be more efficient.
- Just a third of organizations' internal IT software assets and components are available for developers to reuse. 83 percent of ITDMs say their organization does not always reuse software assets when it comes to developing new products and services.
- 93 percent of ITDMs believe that IT self service will be critical to their digital transformation success. From those organizations that own APIs, more than half (58 percent) have been able to leverage them to increase productivity; while nearly half (48 percent) have increased innovation.
- By leveraging APIs, organizations have been able to increase employee engagement and collaboration (43 percent), meet line-of-business demands quicker (35 percent), increase IT self service (35 percent) and decrease operational costs (34 percent).
- On average, ITDMs reported that a quarter of their organization's revenue is now generated from APIs and API-related implementations. More than a third (35 percent) of respondents stated over a quarter of their organization's revenue came from APIs.
The complete MuleSoft Connectivity Benchmark Report 2018 can be downloaded here.*Source: Gartner Press Release, "Gartner Says Global IT Spending to Reach $3.7 Trillion in 2018," 16 January 2018. https://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/3845563. Methodology The survey was commissioned by MuleSoft and independently carried out by Vanson Bourne. The total sample size was 650 IT Decision Makers (ITDMs) working at organizations with 1,000+ employees: US (250 ITDMs), UK (100 ITDMs), Germany (75 ITDMs), Netherlands (50 ITDMs), Australia (50 ITDMs), Singapore (50 ITDMs) and China (75 ITDMs). Fieldwork was undertaken in November / December 2017. The results in the 2018 Connectivity Benchmark Report cannot be compared to previous years due to the change in research firm and methodology. About Vanson Bourne Vanson Bourne is an independent specialist in market research for the technology sector. Their reputation for robust and credible research-based analysis is founded upon rigorous research principles and the ability to seek the opinions of senior decision makers across technical and business functions, in all business sectors and all major markets. For more information, visit www.vansonbourne.com About Anypoint Platform MuleSoft's Anypoint Platform™ is a leading solution for API-led connectivity that creates an application network of apps, data, and devices, both on-premises and in the cloud. This hybrid integration platform includes iPaaS, ESB, and a unified solution for API management, design and publishing. About MuleSoft MuleSoft's mission is to help organizations change and innovate faster by making it easy to connect the world's applications, data and devices. With its API-led approach to connectivity, MuleSoft's market-leading Anypoint Platform™ is enabling over 1,200 organizations in approximately 60 countries to build application networks. For more information, visit https://www.mulesoft.com. MuleSoft is a registered trademark of MuleSoft, Inc. All other marks are those of respective owners.