- Nearly 96 percent of patients prescribed an opioid for the first time started with a 7-day supply or less;
- Approximately 87% of patients prescribed opioids for the first time who were prescribed a long-acting opioid as initial therapy were redirected to safer, short-acting formulations.
"As parents who lost a child to an overdose, we cannot express enough the importance of reducing excess medication in our homes while increasing the amount of patient education that takes place when opioids are prescribed," said Jim and Jeanne Moser, founders of the organization, Zero Left. "Thoughtful programs, like the one created by Express Scripts, make a significant difference with every patient they touch."Comprehensive, Proactive Approach to Safer Opioid Use Express Scripts Advanced Opioid Management is based on CDC prescribing guidelines and was pilot-tested in The Express Scripts Lab for six months with more than 100,000 members. The clinically driven program helps patients safely manage pain while limiting the potential for negative outcomes, such as opioid use disorder or death. Working across the care continuum, the program shields patients and payers by minimizing early opioid exposure, helping to prevent progression to overuse or abuse, and encouraging the safe disposal of unused medications. Because the opioid epidemic is such a complex issue, effectuating change requires addressing all parties that influence opioid decisions. Express Scripts is the first in the industry to offer a comprehensive solution to the opioid crisis that addresses potential behavior and safety gaps at each touch point:
- The patient, with whom we provide additional care and support to educate about safety concerns and proper disposal of medication;
- The pharmacy, where our clinical edits mandate responsible dispensing in all pharmacy channels; and
- The doctor's office, where we alert physicians when a patient has accumulated an unsafe amount of opioid medication.
About Express Scripts Express Scripts puts medicine within reach of tens of millions of people by aligning with plan sponsors, taking bold action and delivering patient-centered care to make better health more affordable and accessible.Headquartered in St. Louis, Express Scripts provides integrated pharmacy benefit management services, including network-pharmacy claims processing, home delivery pharmacy care, specialty pharmacy care, specialty benefit management, benefit-design consultation, drug utilization review, formulary management, and medical and drug data analysis services. Express Scripts also distributes a full range of biopharmaceutical products and provides extensive cost-management and patient-care services. For more information, visit Lab.Express-Scripts.com or follow @ExpressScripts on Twitter. Media Contact: Jennifer LuddyExpress Scripts(908) 794-9226 email@example.com View original content with multimedia: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/safer-opioid-prescribing-express-scripts-significantly-reduces-inappropriate-selection-and-excessive-dispensing-of-opioids-for-new-patients-300581598.html SOURCE Express Scripts