"We are dedicated to CSR because we see it as driving a sustainable and profitable enterprise," said Stefano Pessina, Walgreens Boots Alliance executive vice chairman and CEO. "As a health and wellbeing company, we operate in markets where ethical behavior is of utmost importance. We strive to be a responsible neighbor in the communities we serve, to protect the planet for the future, to do business with integrity and to treat our people and our customers with dignity and respect."Highlights from the 2017 CSR Report include:
- Walgreens expanded programs to combat opioid abuse through medication disposal kiosks (more than 150 tons of unused medications have been collected and disposed of since 2016) and through work to make naloxone, a lifesaving opioid antidote, available without requiring a prescription at its pharmacies in 45 U.S. states.
- Boots UK employees and customers have raised more than £15 million ($24 million) for Macmillan Cancer Support over eight years, and more than 2,200 Boots Macmillan Information Pharmacists have been trained to offer support to cancer patients and their loved ones.
- Walgreens expanded its partnership with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, including training for pharmacists to help patients who are taking blood cancer medication.
- Walgreens support of the Red Nose Day annual campaign raised more than $20 million with 10.6 million noses sold, which helps to provide nutritious meals, essential medicine, clean water and other vital aid and services to children in need in the U.S. and in other countries.
- During fiscal 2017 Walgreens Boots Alliance decreased its total carbon footprint by 6.5 percent from the previous year, through energy efficiency programs and projects.
- During fiscal 2017 Boots UK achieved its CO 2 reduction target three years ahead of schedule, cutting emissions by 33 percent in Boots stores that were open in 2005.
Walgreens Boots Alliance is the largest retail pharmacy, health and daily living destination across the U.S. and Europe. Walgreens Boots Alliance and the companies in which it has equity method investments together have a presence in more than 25* countries and employ more than 385,000* people. The Walgreens Boots Alliance, company is a global leader in pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing retail and, together with the companies in which it has equity method investments, has more than 13,200* stores in 11* countries as well as one of the largest global pharmaceutical wholesale and distribution networks, with more than 390* distribution centers delivering to more than 230,000** pharmacies, doctors, health centers and hospitals each year in more than 20* countries. In addition, Walgreens Boots Alliance is one of the world's largest purchasers of prescription drugs and many other health and wellbeing products.The company's portfolio of retail and business brands includes Walgreens, Duane Reade, Boots and Alliance Healthcare, as well as increasingly global health and beauty product brands, such as No7, Soap & Glory, Liz Earle, Sleek MakeUP and Botanics. The company ranks No. 1 in the Food and Drug Stores industry of Fortune magazine's 2017 list of the World's Most Admired Companies. More company information is available at www.walgreensbootsalliance.com. * As of 31 August 2017, using publicly available information for AmerisourceBergen. ** For 12 months ending 31 August 2017, using publicly available information for AmerisourceBergen (WBA-GEN)