Shareholders of IDT Corp (IDT - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.7% annualized dividend yield can sell the June 2018 covered call at the $13 strike and collect the premium based on the 75 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 13.1% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 14.8% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $13 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but IDT shares would have to advance 15.3% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 22% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of IDT Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for IDT below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.7% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing IDT's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $13 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the June 2018 covered call at the $13 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $13. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for IDT Corp (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $11.26) to be 52%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the IDT Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.
More from Stocks
Dominion Energy Now Has Two Good Things Going For It
It is great to see two or more investment strategies with similar conclusions.
Stocks Tumble on Report China Trade Officials Cut Visit Short
Stocks turn negative after China trade officials cut their visit to the U.S. short, a report says.
Fitbit Talks With Investment Bank About Whether to Pursue a Sale: Report
Reuters reported that the company faces challenges in switching focus to smart watches.
Here's Why Apple's TV+ Could Be a Winner -- It's Playing the Long Game
Apple's aggressive $4.99 price point and one-year free trial mean that TV+ is virtually guaranteed to be in the streaming rotation for many cord-cutters in the short-term, and buys it time to iterate in the long term.