Shareholders of United Insurance Holdings Corp (UIHC) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.5% annualized dividend yield can sell the May 2018 covered call at the $17.50 strike and collect the premium based on the 95 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 12% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 13.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $17.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but UIHC shares would have to climb 12% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 18% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of United Insurance Holdings Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for UIHC below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.5% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing UIHC's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $17.50 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the May 2018 covered call at the $17.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $17.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for United Insurance Holdings Corp (considering the last 253 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $15.63) to be 38%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the UIHC Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.
HOST // Robert Powell
Retirement Planning Event
More from Stocks
Uber Steers $3.1 Billion Careem Deal as Implied Value Gains Ahead of Planned IPO
Uber Technologies snapped-up middle east ride-sharing rival Careem Tuesday in a $3.1 billion deal ahead of its stock market listing that could value the world's most expensive start-up at more than $120 billion.
Apple, Samsung, McDonald's, Uber and Careem - 5 Things You Must Know
U.S. stock futures rise and global stocks edge cautiously higher as investors take their cues from fixed income markets; Apple unveils a new lineup of services in a push to double down on its most profitable business segment; Samsung issues a profit warning; Uber buys Middle East rival Careem.
Apple Resumes Drive to $1 Trillion With Services Move Into 'One Billion Pockets'
Apple shares edged higher in pre-market trading Tuesday after the world's biggest tech company unveiled a raft of new businesses, spanning from online streaming to credit cards, amid it leveraging the loyalty of its 1.4 billion customers as it moves to become less reliant on iPhone sales and focus on subscription and services revenues.
Stocks Edge Higher, Taking Cues From Bond Markets, As US Curve Remains Inverted
Global stocks edged cautiously higher Tuesday, with investors taking cues from fixed income markets, as concerns over the pace of growth in the world's largest economy, as well as political and trade uncertainty in Europe and Asia, continue to dampen sentiment.
'A Billion Pockets': Apple's Installed Base Is the Real Star of Its Service Push
Apple brought out some of Hollywood's heavy hitters to show off its new services offerings, which included Apple TV+, Apple TV Channels, Apple News+ and Apple Card. But for investors, the real draw may be Apple's 1.4 billion installed base.