- Allowing customers to either use Ryder's solution or their own portable ELD equipment
- Enabling use of a cellular data connected Android- or iOS-based smartphone or tablet
- Providing access to a fleet management portal for driver and support personnel profile creation
- Tracking the vehicle's location, routing activity, and idle time
- Creating "geofences" and alerts for fleet activity notifications
The technology behind this platform was developed in partnership with Geotab, a provider of telematics and fleet compliance management tools for monitoring and recording HOS. In order to capture records of duty status (RODS) via the Ryder ELD platform, drivers will simply need to download and log into the Geotab Drive app on a cellular data-connected mobile device. Additionally, all current Ryder rental customers are pre-registered in the Company's system; therefore, minimal time is required for set up on the Ryder ELD platform. This solution provides great flexibility as customers have the option to use Ryder's ELD solution or their own portable ELD equipment.With this new breakthrough solution to the ELD Mandate's requirements for commercial vehicles, Ryder is enhancing its customers' experience renting vehicles for their business needs while reducing overall costs. Ryder will notify its customers once the enrollment period has begun as well as provide details around logging into the new ELD platform during the fourth quarter of 2017. In addition to the Ryder ELD platform, Ryder in conjunction with the Truck Rental and Leasing Association (TRALA) has and will continue to work with the government on behalf of our customers in order to mitigate challenges presented by the ELD mandate. The Company is pleased that FMCSA has granted an 8-day exemption to allow paper logs for instances of a vehicle breakdown, seasonal demand, and expansion needs. Ryder will continue to work with government officials and industry partners to further mitigate expected challenges for our customers presented by the ELD Mandate. More information on complying with the ELD Mandate and how it's intended to promote efficiency and help create a safer work environment for drivers can be found in Ryder's online ELD Mandate Resource Guide where the most commonly asked questions regarding the ELD Mandate are answered, including:
- How do I comply with the mandate?
- What is the 8-day exemption?
- How does the delayed ELD Mandate impact me?
- And what are the features and benefits of Ryder's ELD solution?