Shareholders of Marine Products Corp (MPX - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2% annualized dividend yield can sell the June 2018 covered call at the $15 strike and collect the premium based on the 90 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 10.2% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 12.2% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $15 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MPX shares would have to advance 5.7% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 12.1% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Marine Products Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for MPX below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing MPX's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $15 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the June 2018 covered call at the $15 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $15. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Marine Products Corp (considering the last 253 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $14.24) to be 39%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the MPX Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Tuesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 733,322 contracts, with call volume at 1.55M, for a put:call ratio of 0.47 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
TheStreet’s Fundamentals of Investing Course will teach you the keys to making the right decisions in any market.
TheStreet’s Personal Finance Essentials Course will teach you money management basics and investing strategies to help you avoid major financial pitfalls.
TheStreet Courses offers dedicated classes designed to improve your investing skills, stock market knowledge and money management capabilities.
More from Stocks
Wedbush starts coverage of chips, data storage: AMD buy, WDC sell
Wedbush analyst Matthew Bryson places buy on AMD, hold on Micron, sell on Western Digital.
Boeing Loses Altitude as FAA Finds More Risks Related to 737 MAX
The Federal Aviation Administration has declined to set a timeline on when it will lift its order prohibiting the troubled aircraft from flying.
Dell Technologies and VMWare Risk Falling Further - Charts
Let's look at the charts of both of these companies.
The First Thing Investors Should Do If We Do or Don't Get a Trade Deal at G20
So, what should investors do after President Trump and President Xi meet at the G20 summit in Japan this weekend? Here's what this NYSE trader thinks.
Ford to Slash 12,000 European Jobs as Global Turnaround Hits High Gear
Ford shares edged higher in pre-market trading Thursday after unveiling plans to slash more than 12,000 jobs across its European operations by the end of next year as it ongoing restructuring plan aimed at returning the automaker to profit.