You have to hand it to BlackBerry (BBRY CEO John Chen -- he has done one heck of a job bringing the former smartphone giant back to life.
Shares of BlackBerry have skyrocketed about 66% so far this year as turnaround specialist Chen and his hand-picked team have pivoted BlackBerry toward a play on several key trends. One is providing technology for connected and autonomous cars. In fact, the company scored a nice win last week by having the technology behind Canada's first on-road autonomous vehicle (a Lincoln MKZ if you must know). The other is developing a suite of products levered to cyber-security. BlackBerry is providing software and services to banks and to other institutions likely fearful of being hacked.
Chen told TheStreet BlackBerry's transformation is largely complete, and more of a push into the connected life lays ahead.
Don't miss these top stories on TheStreet:
- Is Your Retirement Nest Egg Safe If There's Another Black Monday?
- Wynn Resorts Stock Could Blow By Its Record High, Jim Cramer Predicts
- Walmart Now Beats Both Family Dollar and Dollar General: Report
- About 41% of Android Phones Are Vulnerable to 'Devastating' Wi-Fi Attacks
- Allergan Is the Cheapest Big-Cap Drug Stock in the Universe: Jim Cramer
- Tesla Slides Amid Reports of Performance-Related Job Cuts