Here's the latest on the deadly shooting in Las Vegas.
Entertainment Industry Speaks Out
After a gunman killed 58 people and injured more than 500 at a Las Vegas music festival late Sunday, Oct. 1, entertainment executives issued words of support and sympathy on Twitter (TWTR - Get Report) Monday.
Shares of Live Nation Entertainment Inc. (LYV - Get Report) , which put on the sold-out Route 91 Harvest musical festival where the massacre took place, declined nearly 2% by early afternoon trading Monday. Live Nation President and CEO Michael Rapino reached out via Twitter.
Our hearts are with the victims in Las Vegas, their families and loved ones who are grieving this morning and to our @LiveNation employees— Michael Rapino (@rapino99) October 2, 2017
Live Nation issued a statement Monday: "Live Nation will do everything in our power to support the victims and their families through the aftermath of this horrendous event and extends our deepest gratitude to the heroic first responders who helped save as many lives as possible."
Country music singer Jason Aldean was on stage performing when the shooter, later identified as 64-year-old Stephen Paddock of Mesquite, Nevada, starting shooting into the 22,000-person crowd with an automatic weapon. Aldean took to Facebook-owned (FB - Get Report) Instagram late Sunday.
Tonight has been beyond horrific. I still dont know what to say but wanted to let everyone know that Me and my Crew are safe. My Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved tonight. It hurts my heart that this would happen to anyone who was just coming out to enjoy what should have been a fun night. #heartbroken #stopthehate
A post shared by Jason Aldean (@jasonaldean) on
Broken Bow Records, which represents Aldean, issued a statement as well.
Big Machine Label Group President and CEO Scott Borchetta offered an emotional message.
I cannot believe what I am waking up to this am. None of us are untouched by this hate. It must stop. My heart's shattered #PrayForLasVegas— Scott Borchetta (@scottborchetta) October 2, 2017
Popular radio show host Bobby Bones explained what friends told him of the scene.
talking to friends that were playing. said tour bus and stage had bullet holes in them. phone is buzzing now. so sad.— Bobby Bones (@mrBobbyBones) October 2, 2017
friend that was playing said he thought it was fireworks at first. then saw someone get hit backstage. and then all mayhem broke loose.— Bobby Bones (@mrBobbyBones) October 2, 2017
There had been no tweets sent from the Route 91 Harvest page by early afternoon Monday.
A Look Back
This mass shooting comes on the heels of other acts of violence at entertainment events in recent years. Over 20 people were killed in a shooting in Manchester, England, at an Ariana Grande concert earlier this summer. In November of 2015, 130 people were killed and many were held hostage at a concert at Le Bataclan in Paris.
Route 91 Harvest became the deadliest shooting in U.S. history Monday. The previous deadliest shooting was at Pulse Nightclub in Orlando, where 49 people were killed by a shooter in June 2016.