Shareholders of Schnitzer Steel Industries Inc (SCHN - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.8% annualized dividend yield can sell the February 2018 covered call at the $29 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.80 bid, which annualizes to an additional 16% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 18.8% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $29 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but SCHN shares would have to advance 6.8% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 13.4% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Schnitzer Steel Industries Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for SCHN below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.8% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing SCHN's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $29 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the February 2018 covered call at the $29 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $29. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Schnitzer Steel Industries Inc (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $27.07) to be 39%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the SCHN Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.
TheStreet’s Fundamentals of Investing Course will teach you the keys to making the right decisions in any market.
TheStreet’s Personal Finance Essentials Course will teach you money management basics and investing strategies to help you avoid major financial pitfalls.
TheStreet Courses offers dedicated classes designed to improve your investing skills, stock market knowledge and money management capabilities.
More from Stocks
Replay: Jim Cramer on Earnings Season, China and Amazon Prime Day
Jim Cramer's breaking down what he expects from earnings season, China's slowing growth, and Amazon's Prime day sale.
Prime Day Isn't Just For Amazon -- Target, Walmart, Others Want a Piece Too
Amazon's retail competitors will see a 79% revenue lift around Prime Day, according to a projection from Adobe Analytics.
Jim Cramer: Even if Slowdown Hits, You'll Look Good With These Six Stocks
Estee Lauder is among the companies that are sure winners, no matter which way the economy goes.
Slack Rallies by 3% as Research Firms Initiate Bullish Coverage
Canaccord, Barclays and William Blair all published bullish notes on the messaging service, which went public via a direct listing in June.
Earnings to Soon Give Insight into Market's Strength
Are we seeing low-volume consolidation setting stage for thrust higher or is this stalling action suggesting a rollover? The answer depends on how earnings season develops.