Fischer "contributed invaluably to our monetary policy deliberations," Fed Chair Yellen said in a statement on Wednesday. "We will miss his wise counsel, good humor, and dry wit."
- Gary Cohn's Exit Could Put the Nail in the Trump Trade Coffin
- It's All Systems Go for These Vicious Bear Markets, Jim Cramer Explains
Crapo, however, said that Quarles is well-qualified for his prospective post and "up to the challenge" of complex duties with wide-ranging impacts -- an opinion Quarles worked to validate during a July hearing before the same committee.
While Quarles acknowledged that his post would give him "a particular role in ensuring the safety, soundness and efficient operation of our financial system" and that post-crisis policies had made it safer and more resilient, he said "some refinements will undoubtedly be in order."
Tarullo, one of the principal architects of those policies, indicated as much himself in an April speech in which he said "'there are clearly some changes that can be made without endangering financial stability,'" Quarles noted.
Citigroup is a holding in Jim Cramer's Action Alerts PLUS charitable trust portfolio. Want to be alerted before Cramer and the AAP team buy or sell the stock? Learn more now.
It's an attitude supported by both President Donald Trump, who argued during his campaign that excess regulation since the crisis had hindered U.S. economic growth, and the country's largest banks. Companies from JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM) to Citigroup Inc. (C) and Bank of America Corp. (BAC) would stand to benefit from looser rules.
"The key question," Quarles said, "will be ensuring that, as we continue to refine the system over time, we do so while maintaining the robust resilience of the system to shocks."
More of What's Trending on TheStreet:
- Hurricane Irma and The Waffle House Index: Why It Has Amazing Predictive Powers
- I Had $150,000 in Debt and Was Still Able to Buy a Home -- Here's How I Did It
- Jaguar Land Rover Says It Will Do Away With the Traditional Car Engine Soon
- Nissan Reveals Secrets Behind How It Developed a Cheap New Tesla Killer