Community Health Challenge Prizes
- Nutrition and Gardens Winner: One winning student group will be selected from entries addressing healthy eating and access to nutritious meals. The group will receive a $10,000 grant to implement their proposed community health solution.
- Physical Activity Winner: One winning student group will be selected from all entries addressing increased activity and physical fitness. The group will receive a $10,000 grant to promote their proposed community health solution.
- Title 1 Winner: One winning student group will be selected from all Title 1 entrants to receive a $10,000 grant to promote their proposed community health solution. To be eligible, schools must be identified as Title 1 schools per the Elementary and Secondary Education Act by having high numbers or high percentages of children from low-income families.
Serving as an online hub for the "Super Health, Super You" initiative, the "Super Health, Super You" website houses downloadable content about diabetes prevention, fitness, nutrition topics and latest news regarding the Community Challenge.Online materials for educators and parents to access include:
- Lesson Plans and Activities: Six lesson plans are available for upper elementary school students to highlight community health, including addressing external factors contributing to health, and the relationship between food choices and diabetes.
- Digital Presentation: A student-facing presentation that walks students and teachers through planning and growing a garden. The presentation is available to classrooms.
- Family Toolkit: To extend the learnings beyond the classroom, a family toolkit comprised of two community-health based family activities - one family discussion prompt will be available later this year.
About Discovery Education Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content and professional development for K-12, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content that supports the implementation of Common Core, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Serving 4.5 million educators and over 50 million students, Discovery Education's services are in half of U.S. classrooms, 50 percent of all primary schools the UK, and more than 50 countries. Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that increase academic achievement. Discovery Education is powered by Discovery Communications (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK), the number one nonfiction media company in the world. Explore the future of education at discoveryeducation.com.About Novo Nordisk Novo Nordisk is a global health care company with more than 90 years of innovation and leadership in diabetes care. This heritage has given us experience and capabilities that also enable us to help people defeat other serious chronic conditions: hemophilia, growth disorders and obesity. With U.S. headquarters in Plainsboro, N.J., Novo Nordisk Inc. has nearly 5,000 employees in the United States. For more information, visit novonordisk.us or follow us on Twitter: @novonordiskus. View original content with multimedia: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/novo-nordisk-and-discovery-education-launch-super-health-super-you-national-community-health-challenge-and-learning-curriculum-300512166.html SOURCE Discovery Education