The "next big transformation in the aviation industry" could be pilotless planes, according to Doug Davis, the Director of the Unmanned Aircraft Program at New Mexico State University.
The statement from Davis comes as analysis by Swiss bank UBS revealed that pilotless planes could save airlines about $41 billion a year. UBS suggested that autonomous planes could reduce pilot costs, fuel costs and insurance premiums.
The world's largest aircraft maker, Boeing, is apparently looking into the use of the technology
More of What's Trending on TheStreet:
- Nobody Is Estimating How Monstrous Tesla's Model 3 Will Become: Analyst
- Warren Buffett Dumps GE Stake to Invest in a Lender With GE Roots
- This One Photo Shows Wall Street's Hate for Target, and Love for Walmart
- The 30 Nastiest Storms in Recent U.S. History Have Caused Mind-Blowing Damage
Watch More with TheStreet:
- The Younger Generations Are Willing to Pay for Online News
- Jim Rogers Says the 'Worst Crisis in his Lifetime' is Coming
- How EY's Kerrie MacPherson Uses Decades of Experience to Help a New Generation of Women Win
- 5 Brands Cashing In On The Solar Eclipse