Shares of Shire PLC (SHPG) were gaining by more than 3% to $168.97 on Wednesday, following talk of a takeover of the specialty drug maker.
Some of the largest drug firms in the U.S. and across Europe are said to have hired advisers regarding a move at the Dublin-based company, the Evening Standard reports. Shire is also said to have hired its own defense advisers to ward off low bids.
Shire is a biotech company that is focused on serving people with rare diseases and other specialized conditions.
More of What's Trending on TheStreet:
- Facebook on Fire - 5 Things You Must Know Before the Market Opens Thursday
- Procter & Gamble Trounces Profit Estimates, Sticks It to Activist Investor
- Ford Let Us Drive Its Tough New Pickup Truck and We Couldn't Believe the Rip Your Face Off Power
- The Fed Hints at Pausing Interest Rate Hikes, and That's a Good Thing: Market Recon
- Old Dogs Are Learning New Tricks: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Wednesday 7/26/17)