More of What's Trending on TheStreet:
- Chipotle May Not Recover Until 2019 After Latest Health Scare
- 10 Reasons Working From Home Might Be the Wave of the Future
- T-Mobile's John Legere Is Inarguably One of the More Colorful CEOs on Twitter
- Restaurant Brands 36-Year Old CEO Discusses the Burger King Whopper, Amazon's Jeff Bezos
- Amazon Faces a Potential Existential Threat That Could Hammer Its Shares, Doug Kass Reveals
Novartis said earnings were $1.22 a share in the three months ended in June, firmly ahead of analysts' estimates of $1.14 but down from the $1.23 generated over the same period last year. Group sales were $12.24 billion, down 2% from last year but ahead of analysts' forecasts of $11.83 billion.
Alcon, the comapny's eyecare division that is currently under strategic review, saw sales grow 3% from last year to $1.5 billion and Novartis now sees full-year revenue growing in the "low single digit" range, a modestly higher forecast than it provided earlier this year. It also said it would provide an update on the review of the unit, which some have speculated could be sold toward the end of 2017.
Also appointed to the board was Linda Johnson Rice, who heads Ebony Magazine publisher Johnson Publishing Co.
The board was increased to nine members from seven.
Tesla shares fell 2.5% on Monday to $319.57. The stock has risen 49.55% year to date.