- Highlight progress made in transforming the competitiveness of the European flat business
- Showcase Ghent as a benchmark of excellence in the European integrated steel industry
- Present the strategic plan and key initiatives that will support further transformation and outperformance of the European flat business versus the competition
- The integration of Ilva, Italy's leading integrated steel producer. Ilva represents a unique opportunity to add significant value to ArcelorMittal's European business. It provides ArcelorMittal with a primary production presence in Italy, Europe's second largest steel consuming market. Strategically well located, sitting next to one of Europe's largest deep-water ports, with significant finishing capacity, it has the potential to be a Tier 1 asset.
- The Europe Transformation Plan, which is part of Action 2020. The group's European footprint offers a unique advantage to leverage the benefits of size and scale and implement a series of efficiency improvement initiatives to sustainably improve results. Fundamentally the transformation plan aims to sustainably improve the competitive position of ArcelorMittal's European flat business and create a positive performance gap over the competition.
- Digitization. The group has been studying the multiple opportunities that exist from digitization and has already started to implement new digital solutions in line with Industry 4.0. The business areas offering the most potential are procurement, distribution and commercial. Considerable work is also underway to conceptualize the smart factory of the future. The potential is considerable and includes the use of drones, virtual reality and the internet of things.
- Continued development of cutting edge products and processes. Our R&D team continues to push the boundaries in terms of both product and process development. Recent examples in process technology includes the Jet Vapor Deposition line, which coats moving strips of steel in a vacuum chamber; ACCtec, a new unique continuously cooling technology for plates, which provides enhanced quality and cost savings; and the Hybrid Filtration technology, which significantly cuts dust emissions. On the product side, the group continues to build on its industry leading products for the automotive industry and is also developing ground-breaking products for industry and construction.
- Sustainability as a driver of innovation. The group is convinced that the focus on sustainability will create new opportunities for steel as the benefits of its life-cycle performance become better appreciated and has created its new sustainable innovation tool to demonstrate steel's superior credentials.
- The transformation of waste gases into bio-ethanol. Still very early in development, the group is testing the potential to transform waste-gases into bio-ethanol, partnering with leading carbon technology company Lanzatech. A pilot plant will be built in Ghent to test the scalability and commercial success of this technology, which if successful will help reduce carbon emissions.
ENDSAbout ArcelorMittal ArcelorMittal is the world's leading steel and mining company, with a presence in 60 countries and an industrial footprint in 18 countries. Guided by a philosophy to produce safe, sustainable steel, we are the leading supplier of quality steel in the major global steel markets including automotive, construction, household appliances and packaging, with world-class research and development and outstanding distribution networks. Through our core values of sustainability, quality and leadership, we operate responsibly with respect to the health, safety and wellbeing of our employees, contractors and the communities in which we operate. For us, steel is the fabric of life, as it is at the heart of the modern world from railways to cars and washing machines. We are actively researching and producing steel-based technologies and solutions that make many of the products and components people use in their everyday lives more energy efficient. We are one of the world's five largest producers of iron ore and metallurgical coal. With a geographically diversified portfolio of iron ore and coal assets, we are strategically positioned to serve our network of steel plants and the external global market. While our steel operations are important customers, our supply to the external market is increasing as we grow. In 2016, ArcelorMittal had revenues of $56.8 billion and crude steel production of 90.8 million tonnes, while own iron ore production reached 55.2 million tonnes. ArcelorMittal is listed on the stock exchanges of New York (MT), Amsterdam (MT), Paris (MT), Luxembourg (MT) and on the Spanish stock exchanges of Barcelona, Bilbao, Madrid and Valencia (MTS). For more information about ArcelorMittal please visit: http://corporate.arcelormittal.com/
|Contact information ArcelorMittal Investor Relations|
|Contact information ArcelorMittal Corporate Communications|
|ArcelorMittal Corporate Communications|
|Sylvie Dumaine / Anne-Charlotte Creach||+33153707470|