Shareholders of Hallador Energy Co (HNRG - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2% annualized dividend yield can sell the December covered call at the $10 strike and collect the premium based on the 25 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 7% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 9% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $10 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but HNRG shares would have to climb 25.9% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 29.1% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Hallador Energy Co, looking at the dividend history chart for HNRG below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing HNRG's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $10 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the December covered call at the $10 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $10. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Hallador Energy Co (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $7.95) to be 49%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the HNRG Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 745,075 contracts, with call volume at 1.27M, for a put:call ratio of 0.58 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
More from Stocks
Market Prepares for a Big Reaction to Jerome Powell
The best strategy is to stay vigilant and be ready to react.
Dow Futures, Salesforce, Dick's, Ford and Amazon - 5 Things You Must Know
U.S. stock futures turn slightly higher Thursday; Dick's Sporting Goods and Salesforce.com report earnings; Donald Trump slams Ford for backing an agreement with California to lower emission standards.
Wayfair Gets Decorated With Analyst Upgrade to Buy
Online furniture and home-accessories retailer Wayfair receives an upgrade from analysts at Stifel Nicolaus, who see the company's stock as undervalued at current levels following a post-earnings downturn.
Dividend Stocks Emerging as Winners With Stocks Rising, Treasury Yields Low
Stocks are getting very risky again, and Treasury yields aren't very exciting. Here's where to find premium value.
Is This Stock a Value Trap or a Great Chance to Buy Low?
Time will tell, but investors who trust the numbers should find ADS tempting: There is well-defined upside, a reasonable yield and management who thought ADS was undervalued enough to spend big on it.