Global disruption is "breathtaking" and unstoppable. Immelt said Kroger's (KR - Get Report) CEO Rodney McMullen probably never saw the Amazon.com (AMZN - Get Report) deal with Whole Foods (WFM) "in the realm of possibilities," but it happened.
"None of it is going to get any easier. It's only going to get harder," Immelt said.
But a good leader knows how to pivot even when the going gets tough. When crude oil prices nosedived in 2015, GE brokered a deal with Baker Hughes (BHI) .
"We never would have been able to do if oil was $70," Immelt said.
Visit here for the latest business headlines.
Don't miss these top stories from TheStreet:
- Apple Is Among the List of Big Tech Stocks You Must Sell Before the Summer Correction
- Jim Cramer on American Airlines, Apple, Amazon, Adobe, Oracle, IBM, Staples and PVH
- Ken Fisher: "Swamp Fight" Will Be Good for Markets
- Apple Could See a 'Windfall' From This Next Generation Technology, Jim Cramer Says
- Kroger Thinks Amazon Will Make One Massive Change to Whole Foods
- 'Walmart Rx' Takes Center Stage as Walgreens Rite Aid Saga Nears Long Overdue End