Shareholders of Daktronics Inc. (DAKT - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.9% annualized dividend yield can sell the October covered call at the $10 strike and collect the premium based on the 55 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 16.4% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 19.3% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $10 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but DAKT shares would have to climb 3.1% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 8.8% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Daktronics Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for DAKT below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.9% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing DAKT's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $10 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the October covered call at the $10 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $10. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Daktronics Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $9.71) to be 34%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the DAKT Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.
More from Stocks
Netflix Loses Top Emmy Awards Haul To AT&T-Owned HBO, Amazon Closes Gap
Netflix shares edged lower in pre-market trading Monday after the online streaming and production group lost its place as overall winner in this year's Emmy Awards as larger media and tech companies continue to challenge its market dominance.
Trade Worries, WeWork, Thomas Cook, 'Game of Thrones' - 5 Things You Must Know
U.S. stock futures are lower on Monday as U.S. and China trade negotiations remain atop the list of Wall Street's concerns; some WeWork directors reportedly want Adam Neumann out as CEO of the office-sharing company; 'Game of Thrones' and 'Fleabag' are winners at the Emmy Awards.
Dow Futures Fall, European Stocks Slide on German Factory Data; Oil Extends Gain
Global stocks drifted lower Monday, pulling U.S. equity futures into the red, as investors entered the final full trading week of the third quarter with a new set of concerns, including suddenly-rising oil prices and gummed-up lending markets on Wall Street, to add to worries over growth, trade and Fed rate policies.
Thomas Cook Collapse Leaves 500,000 Travelers Stranded: European Airlines Gain
U.K. travel group Thomas Cook collapsed into bankruptcy Monday, leaving hundreds of thousands of holiday markers stranded around the world after the 180-year old firm failed to secure rescue funding from its creditors.