Overstock worked with several Salt Lake City-based companies for the project, including: Gardner Company, which handled the real estate development; EDA Architects Inc., which was responsible for the iconic design of Peace Coliseum and submission for LEED certification; and Okland Construction, which brought the planned design to life."Achieving LEED certification is more than implementing sustainable practices. It represents a commitment to making the world a better place and influencing others to do better," said Mahesh Ramanujam, president and CEO, USGBC. "Given the extraordinary importance of climate protection and the central role of the building industry in that effort, Overstock.com demonstrates their leadership through their LEED certification of Peace Coliseum." Attributes of the building that contributed to the LEED Gold Certification include:
- The selection of a former EPA Superfund site as the location for the building;
- Installation of View Dynamic Glass, which significantly reduces energy costs and improves employee comfort by automatically tinting based on the sun's orientation, time of year, and local weather conditions;
- A heating and cooling system that uses Variable Refrigerant Flow technology that transfers heat energy created from the onsite data center to heat the building, resulting in energy usage 33% lower than the average comparable building;
- Water-saving plumbing fixtures that will provide a 35% reduction in potable water use, which totals approximately 778,640 gallons saved per year;
- Fresh air intake monitoring system that maintains an optimal CO 2 balance;
- Harvesting and manufacturing nearly one third of the construction materials from within 500 miles of Peace Coliseum, including over 14,000 cubic yards of locally-sourced concrete;
- Sourcing nearly one quarter of construction materials from recycled components;
- Adjacency to the UTA Trax commuter rail and other public transportation.
This press release contains certain forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Such forward-looking statements include all statements other than statements of historical fact. Additional information regarding factors that could materially affect results and the accuracy of the forward-looking statements contained herein may be found in the Company's Form 10-K for the quarter ended December 31, 2016, which was filed with the SEC on March 3, 2017, and any subsequent filings with the SEC.
Media Contact:Mark Delcorps, Overstock.com, Inc.+1 (801) email@example.comInvestor Contact:firstname.lastname@example.org