Shareholders of Marine Products Corp (MPX - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2% annualized dividend yield can sell the September covered call at the $15 strike and collect the premium based on the 50 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 13.8% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 15.8% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $15 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MPX shares would have to advance 6.5% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 10% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Marine Products Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for MPX below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing MPX's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $15 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the September covered call at the $15 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $15. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Marine Products Corp (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $14.02) to be 37%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the MPX Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Tuesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 794,512 contracts, with call volume at 1.34M, for a put:call ratio of 0.59 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
TheStreet’s Fundamentals of Investing Course will teach you the keys to making the right decisions in any market.
TheStreet’s Personal Finance Essentials Course will teach you money management basics and investing strategies to help you avoid major financial pitfalls.
TheStreet Courses offers dedicated classes designed to improve your investing skills, stock market knowledge and money management capabilities.
More from Stocks
Hop on Six Flags Shares and Enjoy the Dividend Ride
The big operator of theme parks and waterparks is entering the best part of its year and should continue to produce higher dividends as it moves forward.
Jim Cramer: Why Investors Should Listen to Earnings Calls
Investors may be making some critical mistakes when it comes to earnings calls. Here's what Jim Cramer advises investors to be cautious about.
Comcast Regains Its Swagger in a Brutal New Era of Streaming
Customers have a love/hate relationship with the cable TV industry because of continuously rising prices and poor customer service. The flip side is that cable TV, as a product, works, and Comcast can exploit that like no other.
Freeport-McMoRan Is Switching Into Bull Market Mode
After a rough 2018, Freeport-McMoRan is a 'buy the dips' stock.