Shareholders of IDT Corp (IDT - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 5.2% annualized dividend yield can sell the December covered call at the $16 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.05 bid, which annualizes to an additional 13.8% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 19% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $16 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but IDT shares would have to advance 7.1% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 14.1% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of IDT Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for IDT below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 5.2% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing IDT's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $16 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the December covered call at the $16 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $16. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for IDT Corp (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $14.71) to be 49%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the IDT Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 972,781 contracts, with call volume at 1.65M, for a put:call ratio of 0.59 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
More from Stocks
GM Slumps as United Auto Workers Union Goes on Strike for First Time Since 2007
GM shares trade lower Monday after nearly 50,000 members of the United Auto Workers Union goes on strike in a move that could shut down production at the biggest U.S. carmaker for several days.
Expect More to Come Following Saudi Oil Attacks, but All Is Not Dire
I would add, but not aggressively, to energy holdings, following the developments in the Middle East and signs that the potential for the global economy is not as bad off as previously believed.
Exxon, Chevron Lead Energy Sector Spike Following Attack on Saudi Oil Facilities
U.S. oil and energy stocks rise across the board Monday, and providing some upside support for the Dow Jones Industrial Average, after a series of weekend drone attacks on two key Saudi Arabian facilities lifted crude prices to their biggest single-day gain in more than two decades.
How Will Oil Play Out In the Market? This Expert Weighs In
Art Hogan, Chief Market Strategist at National Securities weighs in.