Shareholders of Marten Transport, Ltd. (MRTN - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.4% annualized dividend yield can sell the December covered call at the $30 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.25 bid, which annualizes to an additional 8.9% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 9.3% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $30 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MRTN shares would have to advance 8.9% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 13.4% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Marten Transport, Ltd., looking at the dividend history chart for MRTN below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.4% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing MRTN's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $30 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the December covered call at the $30 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $30. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Marten Transport, Ltd. (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $27.52) to be 27%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the MRTN Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.
More from Stocks
Should We Buy the Dip or Prepare for More Downside?
Here are some tools to determine whether we can expect big market shifts.
Reading Tea Leaves, Earnings Kick In, and Sizing Up the Military: Market Recon
Here are defense companies to watch as the U.S. responds to offensive threats posed by China and Russia.
Equifax, Whirlpool, 'The Lion King,' China's STAR Market: 5 Things You Must Know
U.S. stock futures rise as earnings season ramps up in a week heavy with reports from U.S. tech giants; Earnings reports are expected Monday from Whirlpool and Halliburton; Equifax agrees to pay up to $700 million to settle privacy claims stemming from a 2017 data breach; Walt Disney's 'The Lion King' grosses $185 million over its opening weekend in North America.