Doug Kass shares his views every day on RealMoneyPro. Click here for a real-time look at his insights and musings.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Early Afternoon Edition)
Originally published March 23 at 3:41 p.m. ESTAs I will shortly be leaving, there will be no "Takeaways." So, moving to the abbreviated "Monarch Notes" with The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
Here's a quick review of the day's market action (at least before the healthcare vote was delayed):
* Off of the PVH (PVH - Get Report) beat, retailers are trading better - led by Home Depot (HD - Get Report) , Foot Locker (FL - Get Report) and Nike (NKE - Get Report) .
* Rs (The Russell) over Ss and Ns.
* Financials (especially of a Goldman-kind (GS - Get Report) ) in a possible "dead cat bounce."
* Allergan (AGN - Get Report) gets jiggy.
* Lumber +$4/
* Snap (SNAP - Get Report) is, well, snappy.
* Campbell Soup (CPB - Get Report) up a beaner on a $1.5 billion repurchase announcement.
* DuPont (DD) continues DuLovely.
* Radian (RDN - Get Report) back up after some recent weakness
* Berkshire (BRK.A - Get Report) near all time highs with a solid gain today.
* [iShares Dow Jones US Real Estate] (IYR - Get Report) (REITs) with a solid gain.
* Homebuilders a bit higher after a strong rally over the last month.
* Gold -$5. But the yellow metal has had a great run over the last few weeks. (The failure of the junior miners to rally continues to rattle me. GDJX and JNUG down again)
* Auto stocks lower on Ford's (F - Get Report) preannouncement.
* "Value trap" Gilead Sciences (GILD - Get Report) makes another new low.
Caterpillar Sales Aren't the CAT's Meow
Originally published March 20 at 10:24 a.m. EST
Total Machines (February 2017 vs. January 2017)
- Asia Pacific+39% versus +26%
- EAME: -3% vs -13%
- Latin America: -21% vs -29%
- North America: -10% vs -13%
- World: -1% vs -8%
Total Energy & Transportation (February 2017 vs. January 2017)
- Power Gen -13% vs -15%
- Industrial -11% vs -7%
- Transportation -15% vs -15%
- Oil and gas -3% vs -8%
- Total -9% vs -11%