Shareholders of Evolution Petroleum Corp (EPM) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 3.2% annualized dividend yield can sell the October covered call at the $10 strike and collect the premium based on the 60 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 11.1% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 14.3% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $10 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but EPM shares would have to advance 15.6% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 22.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Evolution Petroleum Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for EPM below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 3.2% annualized dividend yield.

EPM+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing EPM's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $10 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2017+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the October covered call at the $10 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $10. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Evolution Petroleum Corp (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $8.75) to be 45%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the EPM Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

More from Stocks

Tilray's Sales Are Irrelevant and Its Charts Don't Matter

Tilray's Sales Are Irrelevant and Its Charts Don't Matter

Dow Rallies on Signs of a Thaw in U.S. and China Trade Battle, Nasdaq Slumps

Dow Rallies on Signs of a Thaw in U.S. and China Trade Battle, Nasdaq Slumps

Tilray Shares Are Going Absolutely Haywire -- Here's Why

Tilray Shares Are Going Absolutely Haywire -- Here's Why

How This Crazy Stock Market Is 'Pushing the Envelope'

How This Crazy Stock Market Is 'Pushing the Envelope'

Red-Hot Tilray Morphs Into Game of Trading Other Traders, Not the Stock

Red-Hot Tilray Morphs Into Game of Trading Other Traders, Not the Stock